Friday, June 24, 2011

A Visit From Kunta Kinte

June 22: Colin, Amy, and Duffy departed this morning, but the hole in my heart left by their loss was filled by the arrival of a celebrity guest, my great friend, Major Ken Dwyer. He and his totally hot wife Jennie were buddies of mine during the matriculation process I occasionally participated in at Furman University.
Ken is also the reason I am hiking for the Wounded Warrior Project. His valiant struggle to overcome the loss of his left arm inspires me every day I walk.
We talked for the entirety of the journey from Seaman to Russellville. We spoke of old times and caught up on new developments while Ken interspersed the dialogue with wiener-related humor. Even heroes can act like they are thirteen years old once in a while.

Seventeen miles later we arrived in Russellville and found a tavern where we could obtain some grub and information on possible places to camp. Crystal, the bartender, cook, and waitress provided both, making us some delicious bacon cheeseburgers and offering up her backyard.
Crystal's yard was a perfect fit, just across the street, nicely secluded, and recently mowed. We settled down for the night, blabbing until we fell asleep. This week has been very special for me. I've come a long way, but I wouldn't have made it a mile without the help of my friends and family.

17 miles/760 total miles

No comments: