Tuesday, June 7, 2011

These Are Dark Days Indeed


June 4: This was one of the toughest days I have had yet. The pack is coming apart faster than I thought. The weather was warm and clear and there were very few spots to rest. The roads are hilly, rocky, and dusty. I need some Pledge to clean my hiking boots.
The one highlight of the trek was the Shinn covered bridge. Normally I would have spent some time examining the exterior of such a structure, but tired and over-heated I viewed it as a great shady spot and rested for awhile within safe from the sun.
I had hoped to reach Chesterhill, but that proved a bridge too far and I settled in behind the Liberty United Church of Brethren to camp for the night. I learned later that Orville and Wilbur Wright's father Milton used to preach here on occasion as he traveled from pulpit to pulpit in Ohio.
Eighteen miles of dirt leave me on the 564 mark.

No comments: