Thursday, July 28, 2011

Precipitation Aggravation


July 24: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I know I sure did. After several grueling days of heat I made one little innocent wish for cooler weather. Shortly thereafter another wicked thunderstorm, appeared shortly after I reached a bump in the road named Asphaltum.
My choices were A)hide under a tree B)hide under a bunch of trees C)stand in the middle of a field like a lightning rod. I picked B, so please feel free to evaluate and perhaps eviscerate my choice.
As you can probably tell, I did avoid a lightning ride, but the rain kept up for several hours before petering out in the early afternoon. Soaked and exhausted, I limped into the town of Kniman, admiring both of the houses there before collapsing on the Methodist church steps.
My presence there was utterly ignored with one exception. As I sat on the steps soon after arriving a man pulled up in a truck and yelled out, asking if I was okay. I started my spiel about what I was doing there, but he interrupted and repeated the query. I said yes and he peeled out of the parking lot. A Good Samaritan on a strict schedule I gathered.
I had completed the Eastern time zone portion of the walk earlier in the day, so with my seven o'clock start I had been on the trail for ten hours. I chose to make the church my home for the evening, set up my portable home, laid down, and remained there unmolested for the course of the evening.

P.S.: Pictured above is what Indianans refer to as a "hill." Note the slight incline.

17 miles/1088 total miles

No comments: