Friday, May 6, 2011

The Hiker's Clean Clothes


I arrived today in Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, a beautiful burg nestled under the mountains at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers. Virginia will no longer be across the river to my left, but rather West Virginia. I still have one hundred miles of Maryland yet to complete.
We had lunch today at the Sloppy Taco, a delightful combo of Mexican food and BBQ. I will be calling daily after the trip to demand they put a restaurant in Greenville, if only for the great name alone.
Today's hike was only eleven miles as John and I have the opportunity here to take our first showers since beginning the C&O. My official theme song will no longer be "We Want the Funk" by Parliament, at least for a few days. We were also able to have our laundry done, and just in the nick of time.
I will be exploring the history of Harper's Ferry tomorrow morning before heading up towards Antietam in the early afternoon. Right now I am headed down to the tavern for a beer and some grub followed by my first night in a bed since DC, courtesy of a cheap local hostel.
Hostels are plentiful here as the Appalachian Trail intersects the ADT in Harper's Ferry. The town, as a matter of fact, is the 1,000 mile mark and official halfway point of the Appalachian Trail. I met several fellows celebrating the milestone. For at least one night I can feel like part of a group, instead of a lone loon.

11 miles/170 total miles

3 comments:

Colin Stewart said...

Sloppy Taco... PRICELESS. That right there just made the rest of your walk worth it. Whatever happens next, including being digested alive by a bear, will be bearable, ha ha get it? because you ate in a Sloppy Taco.. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Wow BBQ and Mexican food in the same restaurant? I love America! Oh land of delicious excess. Those are two of my favorite food categories crammed into one place. Anyway bro, i am glad to hear that you found an experienced trail partner to walk with for a while and that you are getting a chance to crash in a bed tonight and grab a warm shower. I can imagine that must be feeling pretty good right about now. Tomorrow, I am excited about doing the opposite-going camping with Dan Brie, Wendy, Kevin and others here off the AT in Franklin and spending a night out in the woods. We shall cheers you tomorrow night as we clink a few beers under the stars.

-Colin

Anonymous said...

Hey, good to hear you are at the Ferry. Well done! Love, Dad